Archive for October, 2012

Quilt tops by the dozen.

October 29, 2012

These first 2 photos show my progress through the strings over 5 months this summer.It felt good to actually put them all out and have a overview.

Then I changed my mind and  I decided to take the rectangle units, chop off the corners and add the setting triangles now instead of just stock piling them in a bin.

For the bright multicoloured rectangles with the peach setting triangles, I decided to divide them in half and make 2 smaller quilts. Made them exactly alike except for borders so that they could go to siblings, but each child would still be able to tell which was which. This is the String-X pattern from Bonnie Hunter. It makes good use of short strings ( 5 inches)

I liked the fall toned rectangles all together- so this will be a large twin size. I do love the golds and bronze setting triangles. I’ve found batting and backing to match the fall tones and I hope to get that sandwiched next tues at the guild.

This owl quilt is for the soon to be grandchild. His/Her mom wanted to do as much of the sewing as she could. This is Meg’s first attempt at piecing patchwork and she did a fine job of  matching seams. I did the cutting and pressing , while Megs did all the sewing on tues evenings. We’re now ready for machine quilting. And the closeup is for a certain someone who wanted to match a gift to the owl print.

As you can imagine, I sometimes have gotten bored with strings all summer. I tried to use up some of the 2 inch “worms” with another Bonnie Hunter pattern called Pineapple Blossoms. First it used up very few of the strips,so there’s lots left!! and second it is much easier to build that a real pineapple block. This is really a log cabin of 2 rounds with diagonal corners cut off with a flying geese wedge. I’m definately going to be making more of these blocks.


Finally ! a border to finish.

October 8, 2012

Last year when Shirley and I did the presentation on scrap organization, most of the audience got quite excited about taming their scrap bins.

Some were still overwhelmed by the enormous job ahead of them. Kathy O. brought a different drawer each week to Tues Bee and I offered to help sort. Lots of her friends dived in too and found bits and pieces that went with their projects. I found lots of creams that I was short on for a log cabin project. I cut 2.5 inch strips and had enough to completed these blocks in the photo below.

All of the blocks and the first border of blue came out of Kathy and my scrap bins. The only purchased fabric was the colonial red stripped outer border, and I finally found what I was looking for at Fabricland(Courtney) last week. It’s been many years since I mitered a traditional border, but I took it slow and all 4 corners came out great. The piecing to match up the strip in the middle of each border was another matter- but the joints don’t stand out a mile.

Now to find a perfect quilt design and a person to gift .